Report from he Nigerian Army said it had recovered corpses of “one officer and 15 soldiers’’ earlier declared “missing doing his thing ” during an procedure to dislodge the Boko Haram insurgents from Gashigar Region in Borno on October 16, 2016 based on the Daily Sun.
The Theatre Commander of Procedure Lafiya Dole, Maj. Gen. Lucky Irabor, disclosed this at a weekly overview of Operation Rescue Last at Maimalari Cantonment, On Wednesday Maiduguri.
The corpses were recovered along Kamadugou River collection area in Maiduguri .Among the recovered corpses was that of Lt .Col. K. Yusuf, the previous Commanding Officer ( CO ) of 223 Tank Battalion.
“They possess since been buried in Maimalari Cantonment Cemetery with complete armed service honours,’’ Irabor said.
Meanwhile,no less than 67 Boko Haram terrorists had been shot dead by troops in the most recent gun fight in Metele, Bulakesa and Wulge villages of Borno State, which claimed the lives of six soldiers also.
It had been learnt that 963 Boko Haram suspects were also arrested by the troop s of the Procedure Lafiya Dole while the mop up procedures of the Sambisa Forest and surrounding terrorist hideouts continued.
Irabor, who also confirmed the casualties of the terrorists and soldiers in a press briefing in Maiduguri , Borno State, wednesday on , said among the suspects were ladies who confessed to end up being wives of the fleeing insurgents.
Daily Sun correspondents gathered that in Wulge village, troops received an intelligence report that the Boko Haram members were going to launch an attack about residents and mobilised to the region, resulting in a gun battle.
Through the exchange, 11 terrorists had been shot dead, while 9 others had been arrested. However, in the clearance functions at Manawasi and Garel areas, it had been learnt that the troops encountered the Boko Haram users in Bulakesa village resulting in much shoot – out , where three soldiers had been killed and four others hurt.
Through the shoot- out, troops with the support of the Air flow element killed 50 Boko Haram members and recovered 3 AK 47 rifles. Also , 27 suspected users were arrested through the operation.
In Metele village Also, it had been gathered that troops with the civilian Joint Task Pressure conducted another raid , and killed six Boko Haram members , while two soldiers were injured.
Irabor said, “We cleared Wulge, Bulakesa and Metele villages, where several Boko Haram people were shot dead, and sadly, we shed some officers too. We cleared Asaga, Gashigar and additional villages.”